YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Adding c++ class methods as squirrel functions
kafka
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:42:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I'm new to squirrel and not that experienced in c++ in general (even though i've been coding with it on and off for years).
I'm building a simple 2D game engine and for the scripting part I first used angelscript, but found it easy to embed, but a little too rigid to actually code gameplay code with.
So I found squirrel, because I have dabbled with lua before and found it to be quite similiar in the embedding apartment.

But I ran into problems early on trying to replace angelscript with squirrel.
I have an Engine -class that has all to appropriate functions for displaying graphics, using sounds etc.
But now trying to put my c++ engine methods in squirrel seems to be hard or even impossible.
This is not an issue in angelscript, in fact it's quite easy to do.

My question is this:
Have I missed something or is it impossible to bind non static class methods as squirrel functions?
absence
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 3:23:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Sorry, I'm short on time. But you may want to have a look at SQPlus(outdated, but still does the job when tweaked a bit or if you want to look up how things are done: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sqplus/ ) or preferrably SQRat: http://scrat.sourceforge.net/

(Generally spoken: When using a C++class, you need to create a Squirerl Class representing it, which is a bit more complex than just simple static calls - which you will still need in your C++ class. Usually you store a pointer to your c++ class in the UserPointer of the SQ instance, the static functions of your c++ class then working as a wrapper fetching the user pointer (=pointer to your c++ instance) and call a regular c++ class member function on it). However, if you need only ONE instance of a class, which might be the case here(that is you have kind of singleton requirement), simply make your c++ class fully static and things work out more easily.