YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Project git repository?
pfalcon
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:40:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This is probably not the first time this question is raised, but as there're no changes, let's go over this once again.

Squirrel is very cool language, but lacks the baseline infrastructure of contemporary OpenSource project. And the most basic feature of such infrastructure is public source code repository, using state of art version control system, which is nowadays is Git. Squirrel lacks this, so despite its coolness, it gets very slow adoption and evolution. So, why is this? Any idea to change this?

Of course, people don't sit and wait, but just create git repos for their own use. Just grepping on github with show up few. Most of them however created in hasted and inattentive manner, where just the latest version is imported, so project history is not available.

Seeing that no VCS system was set up for Squirrel during all this yes, I finally decided to take my try on this, collected all Squirrel releases since 0.1, and it seems that I was able to collect them all, and imported them carefully to git, preserving branching history (for example, 2.x releases were branches from 1.0 release, but there were 1.01, 1.02 releases in 1.x branch still). I imported releases verbatim, except for:

* fixing line-endings (it seems that Squirrel is mostly being developed on Windows machine, so most files have CRLF, but the problem is exactly "mostly" - some lines in CRLF-files have LF endings, so it was pretty a mess)
* fixing file permissions (there were alternating "no executable" and "all files executable" tarballs, in git, all files are normal files).

End result of this is https://github.com/pfalcon/squirrel-lang

That repository contains following branches:

squirrel1 - 1.x series
squirrel2 - 2.x series
squirrel3 (default) - 3.0.x series
squirrel3-embedded - 3.0.x "embedded" series
squirrel3.1 - 3.1.x series (based on single alpha release)

Each commit mentions tarball name from which it was created (i.e. release version) and tarball date (i.e. release date).

So, I'd like to invite everyone to use this complete import as the basis for future hacks and developments. I also would appreciate if the author can set up official git repository for Squirrel, and will be glad if this import can be basis for that.
1 user thanked pfalcon for this useful post.
RuiFig on 6/9/2015(UTC)
IngwiePhoenix
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:17:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Thats an awesome idea! I am totally going to be using this - mainly as a submodule for a project of mine. Github makes these things reeeally easy o.o!
Thanks for the upload!
pfalcon
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:32:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Glad you find it useful! Note that my interest in Squirrel was replaced with another language, so feel free to consider maintaining this git repo further, as I'm not sure I'll have time for that in the future.
Zylann
#4 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 12:07:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1, I agree it would be great to have a public repo on a platform like Github.
caecus314
#5 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 9:38:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
This is great! I've been hoping for an official Git repo for a while.
neochief
#6 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 11:21:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Github repo is a "must have" for open source project nowadays.
neochief
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:51:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Apart from the source control goodies, github has an issue tracker and wiki, which could become a great replacement for the current forum and wiki.

Current forum has a very frustrating user experience due to 2-days lag between posting and moderation approval.

Current wiki looks ugly and lacks basic spam protection (each page has some spam links).