YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Buffer overflow in v2.2.5 in SQCompiler::Error
kalenz
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:07:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

While looking at the code of openttd, I found a stack-based buffer overflow in SQCompiler::Error. In this method, a string parameter is put into a 256 bytes stack buffer using sprintf. Most of the code paths leading to this are fine because the string is < 256 chars. However if you look at line 643 in SQCompiler::Factor, an identifier is passed to that function.

To trigger this bug, you need to have a global constant table, and access an invalid member. When I played with the langage, I was not able to create a constant table. However, if the builtins are available, it is possible to pass a table to setconsttable(), and then call compilestring() to trigger another compilation pass on the vulnerable code.

Patching is straightforward, use snprintf instead of sprintf in SQCompiler::Error.

You can find a PoC that crashes the compilation at the following address: http://kalenz.net/squirrel-poc.txt
kalenz
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:57:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hmm, just looked at squirrel 3.0.6 after seeing http://forum.squirrel-la...aspx?g=posts&t=3720 and it is vulnerable to exactly the same thing except that the variable is declared as SQCompiler::_compileerror[MAX_COMPILER_ERROR_LEN] instead of being on the stack. Right after this buffer in the object layout, you have "jmp_buf _errorjmp;", which is passed to a longjmp call right after overflowing. This should make it rather easy to exploit.

The fix is the same as mentionned above, use snprintf instead of sprintf.
fagiano
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:02:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 62 post(s)
will do, thank you.

Alberto
Follow me on Twitter @squirrellang